To kick off Season 4 of The Walking Dead, I decided to do a little engineering exercise to design a better zombie "bunker".
- Doesn't require occupants to remain quiet.
- Continuously destroys zombies without using extra resources or labor.
- Easier to manufacture than underground bunkers.
- Scaleable: greenhouse or extra living quarters can be installed adjacent to preceding structures.
- Occupants do not suffer psychological effects of living underground.
- If lights are kept on, the bunker continues to dispose of zombies after occupants pass away or leave.
- Bodies cannot pile up around the structure as with a traditional fortified structure.
- Sanitary: occupant waste can be dumped directly into river below.
- Spacious: extra ceiling height is not as expensive as with an underground bunker.
- Still requires heavy machinery to install.
- Occupants hear the constant moans of zombies outside.
- Still requires greenhouse and/or outside source for food.
- Fresh water must be pumped or lifted from upriver.
- Difficult to install with zombies present.
- Possible harmonic oscillation in high winds.- Becomes less effective at zombie disposal after all light bulbs burn out.
- Add windmill, wind chimes, or other wind-activated devices to attract zombies after lights burn out.
- Add skylights and 2-way mirrors so that occupants don't have to see zombies, but still get sunlight.
What do you think?